Friday, September 10, 2010

running for dummies, part 1



Happy Saturday, ya'll!
I hope you're doing something wildly fantastic or relaxing or luxurious.
If you're a runner - I hope you're going on a 12 mile long run that makes you feel like a winner:)

So I've been loving Carissa's good words on running these past few weeks and wanted to share my side of the story. Back, way back when (you know - two months ago), when I wrote this blog secretly. I also wrote a little about a decision to start running. Have you ever started doing something with very much doubt that it would go well? That was me and running.
I truly loved the freedom that it seemed to offer in exercise, the challenges that it would bring, but it just didn't seem like it would ever be possible.

Now - I'm about two months in and I've signed up for my first race.
For some reason, I decided that normal goals were for wusses and I skipped right over the 5k and went straight for the 10K. On October 11th. bahahahahahahahahaha.
(that's me hysterically laughing because I'm so nervous)

So I've been running two or three times a week, slowly building up my distance and not worrying a darn thing about my pace. Seriously - sometimes I run a mile in 8mins, 30. Sometimes it's like over ten minutes. Somedays I pump out 3 miles and some change without thinking about it and other days running a half a mile feels like the hardest thing I've ever done.

But here are my observations so far, from an absolute dummie-newbie-runner:
- If I push through the first mile and the first awful feeling of "I-absolutely-cannot-do-this", the rest is always much better.
- Music is very helpful. I absolutely need it. Unless I have someone to run with which is MUCH better.
- Cute running clothes help.
- Planning the meal I'm going to eat after the run is also a good coping mechanism for a hard run. If it's in the morning, I try to spend my second or third mile plotting out my post-run-oatmeal.
- On that note, anytime I try to run any time after 7am, it doesn't go so well. But maybe that's because I'm currently running in the dirty (and still quite hot) south.
- In general, I really like running. Way more than I thought.

I have to be honest, I'm still a little shocked each time I go out for a run and make the distance I intend to. I just never thought it would be possible. I have to get in a good schedule where I can find time to run consistently, do yoga, and do some weight training/circuit training because I can feel my body getting weaker in some ways - but once I get a little more settled - I think it will be better.

Tomorrow, I tackle 4.2 miles.
With my sweet husband by my side.
And - on this beauty.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I used to LOVE running and last week when I went for my first in quite a long time I was sure I was going to die. What music do you like to run to? I need some new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3

    I agree on all of your observations. I need to revamp my running mix. Honestly, one of my favs to run to? The Mosaic praise band. Angela still laughs at me for that, I think. CAN'T WAIT to run together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shall i post a work out mix?
    that's kinda my favorite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jessi,

    my ecomrade in efficent baby-making and looking to Jesus as the author and finisher of our faith...

    i love running. and i hate it to death. i fantasize what it will be like to run again. i prob weighed 145 in college, got to 175 after my second baby, and started running in december 2009 to the beat of my own competitive drum. i ran hard for one month, only to find out i was pregnant. dang it. had to stop. er so i thought (still haven't figured out if we are supposed to run or not while pregnant) but anyway, for that month, what an awful, liberating, empowering, torturous thing. all at once. i loved your reflection about one day it being so hard and the next, pumping it out like it was brisk walking! thanks, jessi, for your encouragement. i seriously cannot WAIT to have my body to myself again in t-minus THREE WEEKS! then i will have three under three like you did. love, jill

    p.s. from 145 to 198 lbs and everywhere in between, i am so excited about exercising and eating more of God's foods post-baby! oooh, and passion hymns is my favorite work-out playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.p.s. i just realized that i am so flaky that i do not make sense when i type. lots of that above was jumbled confusion. i'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete