Thursday, September 16, 2010

Figgy Pudding? No way.

It's Fig Jam!
It's about jam time!
Jam-a-lam-a-ding-dong!
Oh, jam it all to heck...

(I'm sorry, my mother got the better of me.)

Last fall, Mrs. D. made this amazing fig jam and I have been desperately waiting for Papa Joe's fig trees to start raining.
The time, my friends, has arrived.

Here we go...
  • 12-14 good-sized figs, washed and quartered
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 2 or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Dissolve the sugar into the water over medium heat, then add the figs, lemon juice, and cinnamon stick and simmer.
Let 'em get to know each other.
Very well.
Very, very well. The recipe I was given suggested 1 hour. Perhaps my clocks were broken. 1 hour was much more like 2, but we all know how good I am at making mistakes, so I could have had the heat all wrong.

Wrong never tasted so right...
I assure you, that jar has been cleaned of all salsa flavors and aromas.

So I made some toast, spread some jam and discovered something:
I'm not a huge fan of figs.

What's a girl to do? Like most fruits, I like the flavor of figs, but am not too wild about them in high-density forms. But I do love Fig Newtons! I remembered seeing a recipe on one of my new favorite blogs, Peas and Thank You, for something like a Nutrigrain Bar. Perfect! I made a few modifications, and here you have it:
  • 1 1/2C. wheat flour
  • 2 1/2C. TJ's steel cut oats
  • 2t. baking powder
  • 1/2t. salt
  • 1/4C. sugar
  • roughly 1C. applesauce
  • 1/4C. vegan "butter"
  • Fig Jam!

Couldn't find the jam in the fridge? That's probably because it was hiding in a salsa jar.

Lessons Learned:
1. I need a rolling pin. The two doughy halves were very thick and a little dense.
2. The applesauce is a rough estimate because you just need to get the dough wet enough to be workable. You mix the dry, then the wet, then combine. If it's too dry, add more applesauce a little at at time. It's kind of like making play dough. Who knew all those years teaching preschool would come in handy?

Now... Can anyone think of a fun way to make Fig Newtons my own? I mean, Paul Newman got lucky. Fig Newmans? Too easy! How the sheez am I supposed to do that?

Fig Newt-agriffs?
Fig Carissatons?
Cafigsa Hanewtonagriffs?

2 comments:

  1. The fig jam recipe is wrong...it does take longer than an hour to cook. I cut the sugar in half. Try it on a cracker or bread with goat cheese...yummy. How did your version of fig newtons come out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely cut the sugar next time I try this. I LOVED the fig newtons! They were too thick, but they were super healthy and nutritious. Totally worth a try!

    ReplyDelete